Saturday 3 July 2010

Time to fess up people... Naff Music Edition

I was thinking about the stuff I post musicwise. Most comments are positive but there is the occasional comment with a note of criticism as to a particular choice. Which is fine. Except I was thinking that we all have some embarrassing secret musical pleasure. C'mon - what's yours? I say at the outset that Abba is disqualified. We all like Abba on the sly despite pretending that their stuff is well below our dignity - which is of course immense. It seems to be some sort of rule.

Okay - I'll lead by example. My nomination for embarrassing stuff I like is The Strawbs. Twee, sort of folksy not quite rock stuff. Not to mention their execrable murdering of the old IWW Part of the Union. So why you dumb rabbit, I hear you ask, do you like them?

Well it was about a girl. She was hugely into them. I was hugely into her. She was with someone else - a friend - at the time but I didn't care. Yes - I know this is not a good thing to admit to but I can only excuse my behaviour by some sort of plea of diminished responsibility. I was maddened by desire. I pursued her for two years. Then suddenly and unexpectedly she gave in. We spent three wonderful nights together - not one after the other but in pretty rapid succession. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Then that was it. I think this was probably a good thing. I don't think we would have made each other happy and at least there was no slow dismal decline into relationship breakdown. I haven't seen her in years and years but as she has achieved some note in her profession I occasionally read of her. And that's my excuse for liking the Strawbs. Here they are with Lay Down. And yes, that's the young Rick Wakeman.

7 comments:

savannah said...

rick astley

there was something about that voice coming out of the little body...no accounting for taste, i know, sugar...

never gonna give you up...

xoxoxo

Catch Her in the Wry said...

Michael Bouble's "Save the Last Dance for Me." My body must cha cha when I hear this song playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqFr6sF0jo

tony said...

How about some Dream Fantasy Reunions?
Michael Bouble,Rick Astley AND The Strawbs!!!!!
Mine?.............The Moody Blues 'Nights In White Satin'(*blushes*)

JoJo said...

So Abba is your 'guilty pleasure' eh? Mine's Foreignor. And Journey. Brian's is Yanni.

Minx said...

Fess up time you say, Dear Rabbit?

( * inhales deeply*)

Mony Mony ( Billy Idol Edition)

( * blushes, for deeply personal reasons*)

white rabbit said...

Glad to see everyone entering into the spirit of things - Yikes! There are some shockers there.

Petit fleur said...

Don't have time to read now.. will be back later, but may I say.

ABBA RULES!!!!!! HELL YEA!