Monday 2 June 2008

TV Comedy

I was thinking earlier that there are no decent new comedies on the TV these days, just endless repeats of the Vicar of Dribbly (there is something about the mere sight of Dawn French that makes me want to kick the TV screen in - then she opens her mouth). Then my mind went back to the recent past and the League of Gentlemen. Pure class...

On a completely different topic, I was reading an article about Hillary's reprise of Custer's last stand, where a vox pop person was quoted saying something or the other. The person's name? Tangerine LeBeau. You wouldn't dare give a character in a novel a name like that. Okay, I confess to having created two fictional characters called Incitatus Promnitz and Lorelei Fender so I suppose Tangerine LeBeau would be okay really - bit far fetched though...

3 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Tangerine LeBeau is my male stripper name.

Or it would be...would that I were a male stripper.

(French and Saunders...Saunders...bop be ba da da)

Bruce Johnson said...

I can see the British are infested with the same plague that has contaminated the U.S. The Laugh-Track. Any show that has one immediately gets changed or turned off in my house. I don't need a cue from the set that something is funny. If it is funny, I will laugh, if it isn't, then no one should. Laugh Tracks just go to show that the producers of the show think we are all stupid.

white rabbit said...

Earl - quite so but it seems it is her real name. I blame the parents...

Lotus - agreed about laugh tracks. In the third (I think) series 'League of Gentlemen' abandoned the laugh track - a great improvement.